May 03, 2012

When was the last time I was here?

I really don't remember the last time I posted. I should have looked instead of instantly clicking 'new post'. Oh well. I am working this week on making each year's posts into books. I am really excited about this project! It has been invigorating to go thru and read my old words and thoughts. It is nice to see where I have been and compare to where I am now. I saw a quote just this morning that applies:

There is nothing noble to being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
It is attributed to Ernest Hemingway but these days I just don't trust every quote. No matter who said it, I agree. I hope that I have morphed over the years into a superior form of myself.

I know that the boys are certainly morphing before my eyes....

The Oldest is ending 4th grade in a few weeks. He has had a very difficult year of growing up. Realizing his own strengths and weaknesses and falling prey to the urge to compare himself. I see so many of my worst qualities mirrored in him and it breaks my heart. It has also been a huge motivation for me to change myself and hopefully impact him for the better. He is on a field trip to Arlington Stadium today and was really excited this morning. He is becoming such a responsible young man. He is very good at offering to help around the house, asking to learn new skills, and learning new things. He is easily discouraged but I think that is mostly a phase.

The Middle Boy is finishing up 3rd grade and loves life. He is such a positive, talkative, athletic boy. Last night as Dh was reading from our family chapter book, TMB was drawing. Pencil to paper the entire time and proudly brought it over to me towards the end. He makes such elaborate drawings of fight scenes. It used to concern me, but since he is not obsessed with aggression and just likes to draw these scenes, I don't mind it. He told me earlier this week, "Mom, drawing just relaxes me." I'm glad he has something like that.

The Baby/ The Big Boy... is a handful! His is constantly on the go. His mind never rests! He talks all the time and I have been known to say, "Can you please be quiet for just a few minutes. I just need to hear myself think for a moment." He is a hilarious companion tho and I have loved being home with him this year. He said something to me earlier that had me laughing out loud and I cannot for my life remember it now, but he is constantly surprising me with his wit, awareness and simple questions. And he brings me yellow flowers daily. Which just melts my heart. He is so very ready for kindergarten! He is even starting to read. And enjoys it. :D

Dh and I are doing really really surprisingly well. We are more in love than we have ever been. We are happy with each other. I knew that this wonderful man was hidden somewhere beneath his rough exterior, but now I see it all the time. I love it. I hope that we never return to the misery we endured before. All those years of uncertainty, disagreement, disappointments, all those years... I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to be a part of a healthy and strong marriage. I know that we will continue to have ups and downs but there is a new level of commitment that wasn't there before.

So that's the quick update.


No comments: