May 11, 2012

Because the present is the closest we come to eternity.

I've been reading The Screwtape Letters. Great book. I just shake my head, nod, and/or sigh heavily thru every chapter. 

The one that has stuck out the most for me so far is the one in which Wormwood tells his nephew about how to distract the human from the reality of time and thus, his influence. Wormwood says that the best thing to do is distract the person from the present time. The past is ok for this, but is pretty much written and unchanging. Oh, but the future! If the human is in a constant state of concern, worry or simple thought about the future... then the present time will be lost and the person will be no closer to "The Enemy". He makes the comment that the present is the most like eternity. Interesting.

Got me thinking... what does my 'present' usually look like? Right now it looks like focusing on getting my thoughts down and out of my head. :)

I've been putting more thoughtful effort into being present in the present.... like, when the boys get home from school, stopping whatever else I may be doing and looking in their eyes, sitting across from them as they eat their snack. Focusing on the moment with them instead of the list that is ongoing and forever in the future...  This thought has brought me to laugh a little more. Listen more. Ignore distractions and focus on the relationships in our home. Funny thing is that I thought I was doing that before.

1 comment:

Alaina said...

Wow! Totally need to start focusing on the present, thx:)